Monday, May 9, 2011

The Clay and Fire Sale

I went to the Clay and Fire Sale at Boise State. I had to rush my visit at Gallery 1 in the Liberal Arts Building because of my finals. It was hot in there. I was amazed how cheap the pottery was at first I couldn’t believe it. I always went to the pottery sale for College of Southern Idaho and it was a little pricey. I liked the jewelry. They had this chunky bead or stone like quality. I also like the glaze they used for the bracelets and necklaces. I didn’t see a lot of pottery meant for drinking or holding water, but that’s okay because I use them for decoration anyway. There were several pieces that were beautiful in the inside. They put stones inside the pottery with a large mouth and layer after layer of a clear glaze to mimic clear ice. It was beautiful and I liked the glossy finish. There was a nice variety of clay, glazes, and different heat settings made a variety of pottery in the sale. Also there were different themes some involved porcelain, some involved bear claws, others were like paper weights(?)the shape of doves .

I bought these little pots. It was made with porcelain in a wheel. The large one has a clear glazed in the outside with streaks of another color. It’s not really glossy like porcelain, but I like it that way or it would have been tacky. The glossy finish also would have lost the meaning of the actual baked clay itself.  The other two were only glazed with a grainy purple color in the inside and has no glaze on the outside. The lady who did these pieces wanted the viewer to appreciate the natural porcelain clay. I liked the lines produced with the tool she used when she made it with the wheel. I bought these for my sister for Mother’s Day. The last one I got for myself. I’m not sure how another lady made this or what clay she used. It’s a dark gray clay. She used a variety of glazes most were green and some gold. She then used her hands and maybe used slip to make sharp ridges for the texture. It reminds me of a leafy material or a avocado. It definitely has this organic quality on the texture. It’s heavy and hurt putting it high on my bookshelf, but I still like it.    Overall, I think the faculty, alumni, and undergraduate did a good job. I’m glad I went in between finals and work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment